“To transform people through the word of God.”
Scripture: We acknowledge scripture as the true word of God.
Prayer: We are committed to individual and corporate prayer.
Discipleship: We are disciples committed to making disciples.
Diversity: We recognise and seek to harness our diversity to strengthen ministry.
Excellence: We uphold high standards in our ministry, work and service delivery.
Innovation: We stir up gifts for effective ministry.
DR. Johann Ludwig Krapf, a German Lutheran, sent by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) arrived in Mombasa in the year 1844. Dr. Krapf established a mission station at Rabai some 15 miles inland.The Rt. Rev. William G. Peel, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Mombasa arrived in Nairobi at the same time as the uganda railway in 1900.
He conducted the first Anglican service in Nairobi attended by the railway officials of East Africa. Two years later (1902) the first European Chaplain, the Rev. P.A. Bennet arrived to serve the growing European community in Nairobi and the surrounding areas.
The Foundation Stone of the first St. Stephen’s Church built of wood and corrugated iron was laid by Bishop Peel in December 1903 and the Church was consecrated in 1904; it stood near where Parliament buildings now stand. This church was moved to Pumwani in 1922 and re-dedicated to St. John. Another St. Stephen’s was built of stone next to the first St. Stephen’s where the present Chamber of Parliament is now. It was demolished to make way for the extensions to Parliament in 1963. Because it was so strongly built dynamite had to be used to bring it down.
The need for a larger church was realized and under the Revd. W.M Falloon money was steadily collected. During this time the original church of St. Mark’s Parklands was built in 1907. This was behind the present Parklands Police station.
In July 1914 a public meeting of European Anglicans was held to raise money for a permanent church in the centre of Nairobi and the Foundation Stone for the Church of All Saints was laid on 3rd February 1917.
On 31st July 1918, the newly appointed Bishop Heywood dedicated the incomplete new Church. (The first part of the Nave)
The design of Mr. Temple Moore, an architect who ‘thought Gothic’ and was said to be one of the most outstanding architects in that style in the late Victorian era, was for a large church, and further portions of the building were completed in 1924, 1934 and in 1952 to a new design for the Chancel.
In November 1924, the Church of All Saints became the Cathedral of the Highlands, equal in status to the Cathedral in Mombasa.
However, even by 1934, the building had only progressed as far as the Chancel arch and it remained in that incomplete state until after the Second World War.
In 1949 an appeal was launched to complete the building and the present building, All Saints Cathedral, was consecrated to the glory of God on 21st March 1952 by Bishop R. P. Crabbe.